The Department of State Services (DSS) has appointed a spokesperson almost four years after disgraced former director-general Lawal Daura refused to do so.
The spokesperson was DSS’ official contact with the public.
Daura had disbanded the DSS public relations department and forcefully retired its director, Marilyn Ogar.
After Ogar’s exit, DSS started sending out information signed by one Tony Opuiyo – which is believed to be a fictitious character Daura created as Opuiyo never addressed the media in person.
But acting DSS boss Matthew Seiyefa, on Thursday, appointed Nnochirionye Afunanya as Ogar’s replacement.
Facts about Nnochirionye Afunanya
- Has been editor of DSS in-house magazine “The Triple S”
- Has master’s degrees in English, Peace and Strategic Studies from Abia State University Uturu and the University of Ilorin
- Currently pursuing a PhD in Security and Strategic Studies at the Nasarawa State University, Keffi.
- Attended major courses within and outside Nigeria in many fields of human endeavour, among them: Innovation and Strategy at Harvard University, Boston, USA; Security Management and Coordination, London and Investigative Journalism at City University, London
- Member of Nigerian Institute of Chartered Arbitrators, Nigerian Red Cross, Nigerian Institute of Management, Nigerian Institute for Industrial Security, Society for Peace Scholars and Practice, American Society for Industrial Security and a fellow of the Institute of Corporate Administration